Every two years, the term of half the Committee members ends and elections take place in New York, generally in June.
Child Rights Connect advocates for quality, independence and diversity of the Committee membership. We contact States and children’s rights defenders to encourage the nomination and election of the most suitably qualified experts, based on the official criteria provided by the CRC, the GA Resolution on treaty body strengthening and the Addis Ababa Guidelines on the independence and impartiality of treaty body members. We also promote transparency by providing the nominees with the opportunity to respond to a public questionnaire where they can demonstrate how their experience and expertise is an added value for the Committee.
If you are interested in Child Rights Connect’s work in promoting transparency in Treaty Body Elections, you can consult our work as part of TB-Net and the Summary Report TB-Net & Amnesty International Event on Treaty Body Election .
The Report summarizes a roundtable working meeting under the Chatham house rule held on the 15th November 2018, with the aim to discuss amongst States and other key stakeholders including the UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) and NGOs, the current nominations and elections processes for Treaty Body membership, and proposals for improvements which aim to enhance the quality, independence and diversity of Treaty Body membership.
The current membership of the Committee consists of 10 women and 8 men, who come from the following regions: 3 from Latin America and the Caribbean; 7 from Africa; 3 from Asia-Pacific; 2 from Eastern Europe and 3 from Western Europe and other States.
CRC Members whose terms are expiring on 28 February 2021:
- Amal Salman ALDOSERI, Bahrain
- Olga A. KHAZOVA, Russian Federation
- Cephas LUMINA, Zambia
- Benyam Dawit MEZMUR, Ethiopia
- Mikiko OTANI, Japan
- Luis Ernesto PEDERNERA REYNA, Uruguay
- Ann SKELTON, South Africa
- Velina TODOROVA, Bulgaria
- Renate WINTER, Austria
Regarding the nine members whose term will end , 6 are women and 3 are men, who come from the following regions: 1 from Latin America and the Caribbean; 3 from Africa; 2 from Asia-Pacific; 2 from Eastern Europe and 1 from Western Europe and other States.
List of candidates (as of 28.05.2020)
- Amal ALDOSERI, Bahrain, English | Arabic (current member)
- Bander ALSWELEM, Saudi Arabia, English (new candidate)
- Rinchen CHOPHEL, Bhutan, English (new candidate)
- Fatimata DJOURTÉ DEMBÉLÉ, Mali, English | French, Questionnaire, Video (new candidate)
- Rifat KASSIS, State of Palestine, English, Questionnaire, Video (new candidate)
- Sopio KILADZE, Georgia, English (new candidate)
- Cephas LUMINA, Zambia, English | French | Spanish (current member)
- Benyam Dawit MEZMUR, Ethiopia, Arabic | English | French | Spanish (current member)
- Mikiko OTANI, Japan, English | French | Spanish, Questionnaire, Video (current member)
- Luis Ernesto PEDERNERA REYNA, Uruguay, Spanish (current member)
- Zara RATOU, Chad, English | French, Questionnaire, Video (new candidate)
- Ndèye Abibatou Nguissaly Youm SIBY, Senegal, French (new candidate)
- Velina TODOROVA, Bulgaria, English | French, Questionnaire, Video (EN | FR) (current member)
- Ann SKELTON, South Africa, English | French, Questionnaire, Video (current member)
- Benoit VAN KEIRSBILCK, Belgium, English | French, Questionnaire (EN | FR | ES), Video (EN | FR | ES) (new candidate)
As a member of TB-Net, Child Rights Connect works to make the elections of the Committee on the Rights of the Child as well as of other treaty bodies more open and transparent. For this purpose, you can find all the complementary questionnaires and videos of the candidates in the TB Elections webpage.