The coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic is having a major impact on the lives of children and families. Given the large amount of resources developed by different organizations, at Child Rights Connect we want to help you in your search for information. For this purpose, we have pulled together resources from our members and partners, as well as some relevant press releases and statements on the topic and divided them into different sections. We seek to provide clarity by offering an overview of the responses to the disease by various organizations. We hope this will help civil society and the general public to quickly review information that is of interest. We will be updating the webpage regularly as the crisis unfolds.
Child Rights Connect staff in Geneva is working from home following the Swiss government guidelines. You can reach us via email.
United Nations sessions updates
OHCHR information note on the update on summer sessions of the Treaty Bodies.
CRC SESSIONS & ELECTIONS
- The 85thsession (May 2020) is postponed to 7-25 September 2020.
- The 86th session (September 2020) is postponed to 18 January-5 February 2021.
- The 87thpre-session (June 2020) is postponed to 28 September-2 October 2020. The LOIPR of Mauritius, New Zealand and Sweden will still be adopted online 28 June-3 July 2020 and it is still possible to send updated information until 15 June.
- New! The 88th pre-session is postponed to 8-12 February 2021, therefore, the new deadline for alternative reports is 1st November 2020. The LOIPR of France & Ireland will still be adopted in October 2020, as planned (deadline for written inputs to LOIPR 1st July 2020).
- New! CRC elections: the 18th meeting of States Parties in New York is postponed to the first week of September 2020 TBC
- The 43rd HRC session will resume on 15 June and the 44th session will begin on 22 June 2020. The Organizational Meeting for the 44th session of the Council will most probably be held virtually, around 8 June.
- The Annual Day of the Rights of the Child will take place during the 44th
- The interactive dialogues with mandate holders who will not be able to be present in Geneva should be held via VTC.
- It will not be possible to hold informal consultations and group meetings within the premises of the Palais des Nations. A solution for holding informal consultations on draft resolutions at another venue will have to be found.
- Organizing side-events in the Palais des Nations will not be possible.
- UNOG continues testing virtual meeting platforms that allow for interpretation in all official languages. Given interpreters’ requirements, the maximum duration of such virtual formal meetings would be limited to two hours.
OPIC & General Comment
- OHCHR published an information note on adjustments to the work of HRTB in light of the COVID-19. The work on individual communication has not been interrupted. The CRC is currently adopting 9 cases and there is possibly an adoption of 18 cases in the next session.
- The Committee is currently working online to advance the draft of the GC on the digital environment. The public consultation should take place in July, but this is to be confirmed.
- The Day of General Discussion originally planned in September 2020 is postponed to 2021 (session to be determined). Child Rights Connect continues to support Lumos and other members working on the DGD discussion in terms of content and consultations with children.
Resources to promote a human rights-based approach to the coronavirus outbreak
A. Call for action and inputs
1) Deliver for Good open letter calling on governments to apply a gender lens to COVID-19 Preparedness, Response, and Recovery. Ongoing, no deadline.
Deliver for Good Campaign is calling on governments to apply a gender lens and put girls, women, and gender equality at the center of COVID-19 preparedness, response, and recovery by signing on to this open letter. Child Rights Connect signed it!
2) CCPR collecting data in the context of COVID-19. Ongoing, no deadline.
The Centre for Civil and Political Rights (CCPR) is working on a website showing the measures taken by all the countries that have ratified the International Covenant of Civil and Political Rights in light of the COVID-19. In this context, the CCPR is working on a table that gathers the data from all countries. However, considering the big amount of information and different languages spoken, they are asking for help to complete the data of the following document.
The document is only in view mode so people cannot edit it. However, if you have any information you would like to add, please send an email to [email protected] and we will pass the data along to the CCPR.
3) Early Childhood Development Action Network calls for a coordinated action to protect and support all young children and their caregivers. Ongoing, no deadline.
Early Childhood Development Action Network (ECDAN) calls on all governments, global partnership, multi- and bi-lateral agencies, political bodies, funders, international non-governmental organizations, faith-based organizations, the business sector, academia, civil society organizations, networks, and advocates to prioritize the protection and support of young children and their caregivers in the response to and recovery from COVID-19, and maintain investments that support children’s health, physical, cognitive, social and emotional development. Read the call and join it here.
B. Statements and press releases
C. Some helpful resources from members and partners
D. Children’s initiatives
– UNFOLD ZERO article on coronavirus, armed conflict and children: Children for Peace and African youth leaders urge support for UN ceasefire call.