The Committee on the Rights of the Child (the Committee) regularly reviews each State party to the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC) and the Optional Protocols on the Sale of Children (OPSC) and Children in Armed Conflict (OPAC) . This is how it examines the progress each State has made in implementing the CRC and its Optional Protocols (OPs).Read More
The review begins when the Committee receives the State’s report. If no report is submitted by the State, the review is delayed until the report has been received.
To have a global overview of the situation of child rights in a State, the Committee also likes to receive information from non-state actors, including NGOs, UN agencies, NHRIs and children themselves. They can also submit reports to the Committee, but the deadlines are different for these alternative reports than for State reports. Preparing alternative reports takes time and resources but it can be an effective way of using the influence of the international human rights system to:
- Reinforce your advocacy messages
- Bring about positive change in children’s rights at national level.
Submitting a report to the Committee can be a powerful way for NGOs to improve the situation of children in their country. NGOs can be involved at different points of the process, for example:
- Monitoring a State’s compliance with the CRC and its OPs to help increase the weight and visibility of key child rights priorities in their country
- Using the Committee’s recommendations to advocate for better implementation of the CRC in that country.
The reporting process
The reporting process should be seen as a cycle. At any stage during the cycle, NGOs and other non-State actors can establish their own structures to monitor how the CRC and its OPs are being implemented in a particular State.
To learn more about the steps of the reporting cycle, please visit our dedicated website and read our guides:
- The Reporting Cycle of the Committee on the Rights of the Child- A guide for NGOs and NHRIs –English, Español, Français
- Reporting on OPSC and OPAC – English, Español, Français
- Together with children – for children: a guide for NGOs accompanying children in CRC reporting (for adults) – English, Español, Français
- My Pocket Guide to CRC Reporting (for children) – English, Español, Français